Title: Truth Be Told
Fandom: Dresden Files (TV)
Characters/Pairings: Bob, Harry, Justin
Rating: PG-13
Length: This chapter: +2900
Summary: AU. Bob decided to protect young Harry from Justin as much as he could, and now Harry himself must work some things out.
Spoilers: For the episode 1x10 \e greenhouse (even Bob had agreed on that one; “You're not ready for most of what lurks in there,” he'd said. Harry wondered if he'd ever be old enough for all the stuff that 'lurked' in the manor).
All those instructions left him with very few ways of action, most of them variations of standing up under the Sun the whole evening.
Standing up under the Sun, like a lizard. Which rhymed with wizard.
That'd make him Harry Dresden, the wizard lizard.
Which in turn sounded like a character in a children's book.
And why not? He was a kid who was being taught magic by a ghost while living in a manor with a rich uncle who –luckily, truth be told– preferred to be locked up in his room working or away, te'd never been in his time in the manor. He knew there was a cook, an elderly woman he'd seen only once or twice; she did her work and left, perhaps not wanting to make her employer angry by showing a personal interest for the people she served. Uncle Justin was always going about how people should remain in 'their places', whatever that was. Her food was quite good, though.
As they entered, Harry noticed three things. One, the cook wasn't in there. Two, the cake he sort of, kind of, half expected to see was nowhere in sight. Three, in the kitchen floated the warm smell of things –sugar, cinnamon, fruit beginning to be a little too old– that reminded him of home. Not this place where he lived now. Home. And of his dad and what the two of them could be doing right now I'm so proud of you today, Harry. "
Harry 'I make my uncle proud Since When, again?" Not tried to widen Dresden His eyes in confusion. That's What I got for Not paying attention: I missed all the praise. His uncle Smiled
Broadly and Continue. "Do you think I have not Noticed your going efforts. They've earned you a reward. "Leave it to
Authority figures to destroy the illusion That the birthday boy deserves a present Simply Because It Was His birthday.
Still, this WAS an unexpected turn of events. Uncle Justin
Something Picked from the floor next to the fridge.
Harry's heart skipped a beat. His uncle
What WAS holding up Was a small cage, the kind you Carried animals idge, "Was the only thing Justin Said uncle Harry really listened. "The sandbox is next to the back door. Make sure I Learns how to use it, there'll Be no Concessions on That One. "
Milk and a sandbox? It Was a cat, Then? Dogs Did not use a sandbox; Usually They Went for trees and carpets, Did not They?
"Yes, uncle," Harry Answered, His eyes still glued to the carrier. "What's his name?" I Asked Right Before His uncle left the kitchen.
"Does not have any. Give him the one you want. "As soon as
Justin uncle closed the door, the small head of a big-eyed, yellow kitten Eichmann finally up.
Harry Smiled and reach out His hand. "Hello, there, uh ..." Harry paused for a second Before Saying thlf and purred himself to sleep.
“I sort of expected it'd be the other way around,” Harry said.
“It isn't exactly unusual,” Bob commented after a light-hearted mockery about the kitten's oh-so-original name, to which Harry had answered by sticking out his tongue when his teacher wasn't looking. “Cats tend to be more comfortable around the supernatural than dogs and horses, for example.”
“And some people,” Harry pointed out.
“And some people, yes. Which leads us to the other reason why you got a cat, besides trying to avoid you hating me by proxy. They are intelligent; they have ears and eyes to hear and see things humans cannot. Thus, they can warn their masters of danger, provided said masters know how tol Developed historical Mister third skill: walking, running, jumping events and silently with a bell hanging from His neck. Thus, Harry Had to go back to tracking historical cat by instinct alone while Bob helper him to come up with a spell guaranteed to make the bell sound Every time the cat Moved, Regardless of Any ninja-like abilities.
Mister-Everyone-but hoped the issue to Be Solved soon.
About a week after the Mister-behind-the-books incident, Harry sat WAS Earlier Than usual to bed; His uncle Had a visitor and I wanted absolute privacy. It Was Always Like That. Uncle Harry Meet Justin never let none of His Friends normal business partners under the excuse That I Would not Understand Half of What They Talk about, That or he'd misunderstand andverything and think I Could end up doing Things I wasn't ready for. It Was
annoying, pero Harry Had to Comply. I WAS under His uncle's roof and, anyway, I Did not have any good counterclaim. (Counterclaim
, a strong, Useful, and long word he'd Learned Earlier That Day thanks to Bob's thesaurus.)
But, as He Was His taking off shoes, I made Mr. WAS nowhere in the room. The damned cat
Had done it again. If Mr. Eichmann
up in the living room-or uncle Justin and historical Whenever guest were-, Harry WAS going to get in trouble.
Lots of troubles.
Growling Old Inglés in the insults he'd caught from Bob, Harry historical shoe put back as fast as I Could and jump up to look f
0 comments:
Post a Comment